Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What a difference a 1/2" makes!

Recording the results of a new project is not only about the success, but also the failures. And sometimes, even small failures have large consequences.

Who ever knew that 1/2" could be so costly? It cost me about 3 days.

I made a mistake when I built my coaming (the oval opening to the kayak). I made it 1/2" too small.

Here you can see that it is only resting on 1/4" of the front deck stringer. Not solid enough!


Here you can see only 1/4" resting on the back deck stringer. Also not good enough!

Here is what it looks like from the top, which seems okay, but it ain't.

So, I had to figure out what to do.

So I built two new stringers. It turns out I didn't have a piece long enough so in the end I had to take the existing stringers, cut them with my scarf jig, and insert some extensions. Then I had to apply the tung oil. So that took time.

I also tried building a new coaming. While the one in the photo seems okay it has a couple of problems, including lots of gaps between the laminates. So I tried building another using thinner strips. Didn't work out very well. So I built a third coaming, this one out of cedar, which is working much better, plus it is lighter too.

I learned my lesson. Little mistakes can have big consequences. Next time, more measuring for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment